Re: Gnome and Zaurus

Hi,

  I just got my Z this week, but I think I might be able to answer a few of
the questions here.

> Also interested if the Zaurus can sync with Evolution?

  There are a few attempts at Evolution syncing at
http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showapps.php?cat=2 . I don't use Evolution, so I
can't really say how they work.

> If you weren't aware, the Zaurus uses software written by Trolltech
> and the Qt widget set so you will probably find KDE programs before
> GNOME programs.

  That is true. I'm not sure if it will make it into KDE 3.1 or not, but there
is a new syncronization program integrated into KDE called KitchenSync that
will sync with the Zaurus (as well as most other PDA's.)

  It might be messy, but potentially, you could write a tool to sync Evolution
via KitchenSync if one were so inclined. What I'd love to see is a common
syncronization and PIM system between GNOME and KDE so one could move back
and forth seemlessly. Anyway...

> I've never owned a PDA before, but most people that have say the Palm
> applications are much more polished. Syncing under Linux may require a

  FWIW, I've found the Zaurus similarly polished to my Palm Vx, although there
are a few things that are a bit more complicated. Also, the networking
configuration for Ethernet over USB doesn't quite work right out of the box,
but then again Palm doesn't support Ethernet over USB at all...

  Anyway, overall I am quite pleased with the default applications. I'd heard
a lot of complaints about them, but for basic information management they
seem to be quite good. Also, the Zaurus handled IR transfer of my contacts
and todo lists absolutely beautifully from my Palm OS 3.5 pda.

  The main hitch I've found so far is that Qtopia Desktop for Linux isn't the
most polished. You might run ldconfig after installing it, and then change
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and QTOPIADESKTOPPATH before each use (I setup a little shell
script to do this while launching the tool). Additionally annoying, Qtopia
Desktop doesn't integrate with KDE any better then it does GNOME, so it
sticks out like a sore thumb no matter what desktop you use.

> kernel recompile (your desktop kernel) to enable "Ethernet over USB"
> or you can buy a CF network card for it.

  Its worth noting that Mandrake 8.2 includes the needed patch, I'm not sure
how the other distros are doing with this however.

   Best,
      Tim

- --
Timothy R. Butler | Universal  Networks | http://www.uninet.info
tbutler uninetsolutions com          ICQ: 12495932 AIM: Uninettm
Christian Portal and Search Tool:       http://www.faithtree.com
Open Source Migration Guide:                  http://www.ofb.biz
============= "Christian Web Services Since 1996" ==============
Registered Linux User #82130  Reg. Linux Machines #34002 & 102889