NEWBIE: Running RH7.2 - Transparency Setting will not work??

Im not sure what version of Gnome Im running but Im running RH7.2 and Im
having trouble getting my Terminal Window to one become transparent and two
to keep settings within it properties that I change.  I have already been
through several chapters of my GNOME Users Guide but nothing the book
recommends seem to work.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DK

David Kramer
Software Developer