Re: Drap and Drop In Gnome 2

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 01:33:37AM +0100, Mark Cooke wrote:
> I have a few basic questions regarding drag and dropping in Gnome2,
> compared to Gnome 1.4.
>
> On the top menu panel, If I create an launcher on there & ( at a latter
> date ), I wish to drag that to the desktop, I get the following error:
>
> "Drag and Drop is only supported to local file systems"

How old is your GNOME 2 installation (i.e. did you install it from
release candidate tarballs or a weekly snapshot; in the latter case,
which week)? Also, is your home directory NFS mounted? There are some
known problems (some fixed recently, some punted until 2.0.1) regarding
NFS directories.

> Also I've tried to create symlinks to folders on my desktop or another
> window in Nautilus, but It just keeps copying them rather than linking
> them, on 1.4 I could hold down the (I think) shift key and that would
> create a link rather than copying the whole directory ( I know you can
> right click and create a link, then drag that to the destination, but
> its clumsy and slow), is there another way in Gnome 2 to do this.

No idea about this. I'm not a Nautilus user.

Malcolm