Re: I don't get gnome 2

On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 13:11, iain wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 22:01, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
>
> >  Well, I set
> > GDK_USE_XFT and now I know why, half the fonts disappear and the ones
> > that are left look worse than a non AA truetype font.  Whats going on
> > here?
>
> You ever think maybe you just don't have your fonts set up right, as
> many other people are able to get it all looking lovely.

No I hadn't and it's some thing I can look into.

But thats not really the point I think, the point is how does the
mythical non geek enduser set gnome to use AA fonts?  Why does it even
need to be turned on?  And assuming there is a good reason that it is
disabled by default why not have a simple checkbox to turn it on?

And where are teh config optins for it, I have read on sitres that it
can be configured to only AA some fint sizes etc, if thsi is true is my
grandmother going to have to export some weird variable to do it?