Re: Will Gnome _EVER_ be stable?

On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 13:25, Travis Saling wrote:
> > Will Gnome _EVER_ become a stable environment to try to do productive work
> > in, That is one that I don't have to spend hours rebuilding on a regular
> > basis?
>
> This has not been my experience at all. FYI I'm using Red Hat 7.2 with
> Ximian's Gnome currently, and have used the Red Hat packages before with
> good results.

This _has_ been my experience, even recently, and its not a Debian
problem, nor is it a user problem, its a gnome problem. I ranted about
this on gnome-devel just a few days ago. (I probably shouldn't have
bashed gconf as I did, since I actually think its the solution here.)
This is a system maturity problem as I think gnome developers have been
focussing on bigger issues. However, currently gnome breaks the golden
rule: never loose users data! And configuration is data. I see you don't
fully trust gnome to save your config either as you are in the habit of
making a backup copy (I can't tell you how often having nightly backups
has saved my ass after my gnome settings got scrambled). That's pathetic
when you think about it. A reasonably designed system should _never_
leave config files in an inconsistent state. The word I got was we'll
have to wait for gnome 2 before a reasonable fix is in place.

T.