Re: gonme and the internet.

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00:56PM -0500 or thereabouts, -dsr- wrote:

> Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> > But mine isn't. If I start GNOME up and the connection to the
> > nameserver is down, then GNOME keeps looking for the nameserver
> > for about 30s or a minute and then gives up, and then continues
> > with the starting up process.
>
> People often think that running a nameserver is a Big Hairy Deal, but
> if you don't need to be authoritative for any domains, it's actually
> quite an easy and, dare I say it, lightweight process to configure and
> run.
>
> On Debian, for instance, there's lwresd, pdnsd, djbdns, and maradns,
> as well as the heavyweight BIND.

This is true. My problem is generally not the nameserver failing
to respond though; it's my networking setup being silly and not
finding the nameserver. (long story..)

Also, I really don't want yet another thing I can break in a
colossal way. The people who look after my nameserver are very
good and I'd far rather leave it to them whilst I just take
advantage of it :)

Back to the original question though: if you are having "everything
takes 30s to start up" problems, I would certainly check the
networking, and particularly whether you can reach your nameserver.

Telsa