Re: GDK_USE_XFT=1 loses truetype fonts

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:20:26 -0700
Alan <alan ufies org> wrote:

> Thanks to the 'What's yours look like' thread on the gentoo forums,
> I've been trying to get the font SF Grunge Sans to work for my
> nautilus desktop font...  anyway, after lots of fighting I finally
> figured out the font wierdness that's been haunting me for ages, in a
> way. Basically waht was happening was taht I was installing fonts
> properly, as everyone else does, but they weren't showing up under
> gnome2.
>
> In my testing I ended up just running startx, instead of using gdm,
> because of having to restart X all the time for the fontpath config,
> xftconfig, etc.
>
> Anyway, I *finally* got them going, was all happy and overjoyed, and
> figured I'd restart with gdm. Suddenly all the fonts taht I just had
> access to were gone, and my desktop font (chosen sf grunge sans)
> turned into something else.
>
> Anyway, I discovered that if I had GDK_USE_XFT=1 in my .xinitrc a
> bunch of my new truetype fonts were gone.... if I took it out, they
> came back. I assume that because the gdm session file for gnome hsa
> GDK_USE_XFT=1 at the top that this is the reason why this was
> happening under GDM.
>
> Anyone have similar problems, or any clue on how to solve them? I can
> use startx instead of GDM, but I'd rather not. Just FYI, I'm using the
> latest gnome in gentoo, and installing my truetype fonts by sticking
> them in/usr/lib/X11/fonts/mytruetype, then goinginto that directory
> and running ttmkfdir -c -o fonts.scale && mkfontdir.  The mytruetype
> directory is included in the dirs in /etc/X11/XftConfig
>
> Please Help!
>
> Regards,
>
> Alan
>

> --
> Alan "Arcterex" <alan ufies org>   -=][=-   http://arcterex.net
> "I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the
> isolation, I think I preferred the cows. They were better
> conversation, easier to milk, and if they annoyed me enough, I could
> shoot them and eat them." -Rodger
> Donaldson_______________________________________________ gnome-list

I don't set GDK_USE_XFT=1 in my environment.  I think that good quality
true type fonts look better without the antialiasing.  I just grabbed
the fonts from a windows box and also from the webfonts for Linux.  I
installed them and they look great.  Maybe edit the gdm conf file and
get rid of the GDK_USE_XFT=1 stuff.

JMHO,

Jim Drabb

- --