Window manager problem?

I am running Debian <testing> and have had a few problems with gnome
desktop crashing a lot. I've switched over to WindowMaker for the time
being to see if I can correct the crashing problem.

Now I would like to go back to using Gnome, so I modify my .xinitrc file
to run gnome-session, I don't use any display manager, I just run startx
when I want to use X.

I keep getting wmaker running then gnome startups afterwards, so now I
have both WM running. I had been running gnome with sawfish and wish to
go back.

Any ideas?
--
Jeffrey Bell <jfbell earthlink net>