"Window level" of gnome-panel2?

I've finally tried installing GNOME2, via RPMs from Red Hat. Except that I think the new font setup is not all it's cracked up to be, I'm mostly happy with how everything works. There is one major annoyance, however: The panels are always drawn on top of other windows. In GNOME 1.4, there was a special setting for the panel's "window level", but I can't find it in any of the version 2 preference dialogs - although the user doc. does mention it.

Can anyone explain this?

- Toralf