Re: Are these "troubles" due to RedHat 8 or Gnome 2 ?

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 09:01:31AM -0500, Paul E Johnson wrote:
> I installed RH8 on a clean system and have some troubles. I have some
> config problems.  If these are due to the much discussed RedHat
> "improvements" and "simplifications", please let me know and I'll get
> Gnome some other way.
>
> 1. How do you choose a Window Manager? That choice is gone from the
> config setup.

No normal user would ever want to do this, so there is no config option.
The new philosophy for gnome2 is "less is more" where config options are
concerned, and even though this is asked many times, there are no plans
that I've heard of to make an option.  You are left with either running
"killall metacity ; sawfish" (replace metacity/sawfish with your running
and desired WM) or playing around in gconfd.  The killall method works
great though, just don't forget to check the 'save session' when you log
out.

> 2. Without being able to switch Window Managers, I can't see how to make
> the backgrounds of different workspaces use different images.  Is it
> possible?

I don't think so... I don't actually remember ever seeing this ability
in gnome2, only in KDE.

> 3. There appears to be no way inside the file manager (Nautilus?) to
> find out how much space is used in a directory.  Is that right?

Right click->properties.

> 4. gnome-terminal no longer accepts a command-line argument to indicate
> which pixmap should be used on the background.  After choosing a pixmap
> in the menu system, the background does not scale with the terminal
> window. Is it supposed to be that way?

If there is I don't know about it, but I'm just a user.  Anyone more in
the know have any idea here?  Maybe a hidden gconf key or something?

alan

--
Alan "Arcterex" <alan ufies org>   -=][=-   http://arcterex.net
"I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the isolation, I