non-local host problems

I experience some problems when running gnome applications on a non local
host.  For example, gedit produces the following error messages and crashes

> _IceTransSocketUNIXConnect: Cannot connect to non-local host sputnik
>
> (gedit:23494): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
> Could not open network socket.
>
> (gedit:23494): Bonobo-WARNING **: Failed to get '/desktop/gnome/interface/menubar_detachable': > 'Adding client to > server's list failed, CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'

My system is configured like this:

o I am running gnome 2.1.0 (garnome).
o The gnome desktop runs on 'sputnik' (a linux server)
o The display is exported to my W2000 pc running Exceed (a X server).
o The gnome applications causing problems are started on 'viking' (also a linux server). o I am using the same user and both systems have access to the same NFS disks (home, gargnome install,...) expect for /tmp and a few other system directories. o All sputnik environment variables (except a few choosen ones) are exported to vicking.
   The variable SESSION_MANAGER is defined as
       local/sputnik:/tmp/.ICE-unix/29497
o this is not a 'xhost +' problem. I can start non gnome applications on viking.
o 'sputnik' is properly resolved by viking: 'ping sputnik' works fine

I found in some gnome mailing lists that some peoples have a SESSION_MANAGER with a tcp part (e.g. ...,tcp/sputnik:32344). Would that solve my problem? I guess that
the number is a socket port number. How can I enable this feature?

Stephane.