Can't start gnome2 2.1.1

Hello all

I compiled gnome2 2.1.1 on RH8, I don't use any previous version that come
with rh8, after I finished the building process, I edit ~/.Xclients and add
the line gnome-session in it.

then I startx, one dialog popup told me "nuatilus meet an unexpected error,
you can't use nautilus now" then another dialog popup told me "gnome-panel
can't register it to bonobo-activate, the error code is 3" and the third
dialog told me gnome-setting can't start,

after I close the 3 dialogs, there is only a black screen with a X cursor.

who can tell me why?