Re: gnome2 features

On Sun, 2002-09-29 at 16:06, Fred Heitkamp wrote:

> A few thoughts regarding gnome.
>
> I have been trying gnome2.  This last one I am trying, version 2.0.2, is
> working pretty well.  I used the cvsgnome script to get, compile, and
> install it.
>
> Gnome 2 seems faster than Gnome 1 but the other differences are taking
> some getting used to.
>
> The one missing feature that bugs me the most is the lack of a
> favorites menu.  I use that a lot when running Gnome 1.  I have
> so many odd programs on my Linux setup, that the favorites menu
> helps me find them easily.

The menu editing is now workin via nautilus so you can add a new
category for your favourite apps

> I understand with Gnome 2 you are supposed to use Nautilus to
> launch your favorite programs but Nautilus is still buggy
> clunky and slow, at least on my system.  I like some of it's
> features though.
>
> I do agree that Gnome might be picking up too many Windows features.
> I find that Nautilus popping up when a new drive is mounted somewhat
> annoying; not really much help most of the time.  Maybe a dialog popping
> up and asking if you want to use Nautilus to view the new directory
> would help.  Of course the dialog could be switched off for those that
> like the pop up feature.

There is a new magic-dev applet available from cvs to control this

(you will need to copy the gnome-cd-properties.desktop file to
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets for it to show in the prefernces
menu)