Re: gnome2 repairs

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 12:49, Haines Brown wrote:
> I have a user account with a corrupted gnome configuration. If I want
> to regenerate user's gnome2 configuration, which directories need to
> be removed? Will a default configuration be regenerated when X is
> restarted?

It might be a better idea to find out how can your configuration get
corrupted, for a long term solution.

> For a repair beyond just fiddling with gconf, is there any source of
> information on what the various gnome files do? Besides not knowing
> what the files are, it seems difficult to edit XML files by hand. Does
> this suggest that a repair is probably a waste of time and I should
> instead just wipe out my configuration and build a new one?

Since GNOME is a fairly simple and easy-to-use desktop environment; it
might be a way lot easier to just remove ~/.gnome2 and ~/.gconf to start
building a new one from scratch.

Anyway, the two folders are probably the places you're looking for,
where the configuration of most GNOME apps reside; actually it's just
~/.gconf.

By the way, I just took yet another look at ~/.gnome2 and noticed that
it's almost not in use at all.
--
Enver ALTIN (a.k.a. skyblue)    - Software developer, generic solvent
http://enver.casdb.com          - mailto: ealtin at casdb dot com

F:	When into a room I plunge, I
	Sometimes find some VIOLET FUNGI.
	Then I linger, darkly brooding