GnomeIconList and default icons

Hello,

First, I am not sure that this is the correct list.  If it isn't, if you
could direct me to the correct one that would be cool something like
gnome-app-devel or something???

I am developing an application which has a GnomeIconList and the user can
add files to the IconList.  I am looking for a function which given the
name of the file or it's mime-type will return an icon for the file-type.

I have tried gnome_icon_lookup() and it will not return an icon filename.
Do the GnomeThumbnailFactory and or GnomeIconTheme parameters need to be
setup in any special way?

Thanks,
A sad developer :(