Gnome 2.4.1 and PPP problem

Hello, I've installed Debian Sarge from Debian Installer CD and decided
install Gnome 2.4.1 from Debian sarge repositories. I've a PPP
connection, which I've configured with pppconfig (PAP, DNS with
/etc/resolv.conf). The connection works ok.

The problem is that when PPP is on I can't login with gdm: the login
process stops with the Gnome splashscreen. I stop my PPP connection and
launch gdm again, now I can login without problem.

Then reconnect from the CLI, and Nautilus and other Gnome apps (gedit
and others) freezes. The gnome-panel works and other apps, like Mozilla,
work fine. Then I disconnect again, close (kill) the Nautilus window (or
another freezed window) and everything work fine again.

I've tried connecting as root and as normal user without any change.

I've been googling and searching this list and I've not found any
solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance.

eklectic
(from Spain, running LinEx 3.0r2)