Re: Not-so-newbie question: volume control

Joao Palhoto Matos wrote:

With right mouse button on the panel choose

Add to Panel
  Multimedia
      Volume Control

OK, doing that, and cranking the volume up to max, the sound is still MUCH SOFTER than it was before. I distinctly remember having a panel with many different volume controls on it that would adjust the volume on many different components of the system, from the speakers to the CD player. Using that control panel, I had been able to increase the volume to quite a reasonable level, certainly much higher than the hush I now have. I have read the documentation on the GNOME Volume Control Applet V2.2. It says to access additional functionality for working with volume, right-click on the applet and choose 'run audio mixer', which sounds like the sort of thing I used to have. Yet when I right-click on the applet, there is no option to 'run audio mixer', just 'mute', 'help', 'about...', 'remove from panel' and 'move'! Does anybody know what might have happened to make the audio mixer disappear from my volume control, and how I might go about getting it back?

Thanks,

Geoff