Re: Problem when un-maximizing apps in RedHat 8

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 03:37:03PM +0100, Julien Olivier wrote:
> To verify that, I tried the same thing in KDE (still on Red Hat
> 8). In KDE, when you un-maximize the window, it goes back to a
> pre-defined dimension, whichis not the dimension the app add before
> you maximized it. I concluded that, if Metacity doesn't know the
> app's un-maximized size, it keeps the app's maximized size whereas
> kwin defaults to a pre-defined size.

That sounds like an OK idea, I could do that in metacity too
I suppose. Though it's still not really right obviously.

> Should I send this email to the developers of every single app on RedHat
> 8 (except Gedit) to tell them to save the window's size before
> maximizing it or is there abetter solution ?

You are better off filing bugs in bug trackers than sending mail.
(e.g. bugzilla.gnome.org, etc.)

We are also trying to move size-saving into the window manager
instead of the app, which would let us get this stuff right globally:

  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2001-August/msg00044.html
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2002-May/msg00030.html
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2003-January/msg00008.html

It'll take a long time to get this fully implemented, but you might
mention those links to app authors as something to consider for the
future.

Havoc