Re: window contents while dragging

thanks for your answer Bart. It just got me a fast solution to the dragging problem. Searching in Google shows easily the reference of Calum Benson to the Solaris patch:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2003-June/msg00016.html

and we have a page of Haw-Bin Chai with a Metacity patched source:
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/03/chai/comp/wireframe.html
(patch file only: http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/03/chai/comp/metacity.patch )

one needs to use the gconftool-2 manually and it works fine.

But that said I'm still somewhat very surprised the feature is not standart in Metacity. And the pacth not integrated.

The problem went to me trough friends who are windoze users running pentium2 @ 233/266/300 Mhz + 256 ram. I convinced them after much time (and the help of the increasing number of virii they get ) to switch to unix.I promised them they didn't need to learn C or divorce to get time to learn about kernels, shells , API's, TCP/IP, X, and so on.I installed them Gnome-2 and they came back crying "your Gnome sucks, it's slower than win2k !". Indeed; in w2k they right-click on the desktop > Properties > Effects and un-select "show window contents while dragging". ( and I do myself almost the same in my HP 9000 under CDE ...), then the desktop runs better. (on low hardware).

Now, excuse me if I get verbose but the README in Metacity archive is a jewel of philosophy: