gdmlogin loop problem

Hi,

on my debian-testing K7 PC I cannot login: When gdm starts, I only get
the gray dotted X background and a small wristwatch symbol in the screen
center, which is a little nervous.

"top" tells that there are is a sequence of gdmlogin processes. It seems
that the gdmlogin can't bring the login screen and dies, then a new
gdmlogin is started, and so on.

Does this problem ring a bell with anyone?

BTW: I can still switch to a terminal console and log in there, but
after a while even this doesn't work anymore and the LEDs at the
keyboard start blinking. Only way out is hard power-off.

Please help! Any hint welcome.

Greetings Hartmut

Hartmut Henkel, von Hoerner & Sulger GmbH, Schwetzingen, Germany