Installation: gdk-pixbuf/libbonoboui version conflict

I dont't use gnome, but for some applications I needed to install some of
its libraries. I am installing from source. After some days of
installation, I came to
	    libbonoboui-2.2.0.1.
./configure said that I need
	    gdk-pixbuf-0.12.0
or better instead of my present 0.9.0 version. So I installed that.
Configuring libbonoboui went well, but now 'make' stopped with an error
message about a missing semicolon in gtkimage.h, which is rubbish.
Google pointed me to an info that this was due to a gdk-pixbuf version
conflict.

So what do I do now:

- How do I find out the conflicting modules?

- How do I avoid eternal updating, continuously generating new
  conflicts?

Frank Hrebabetzky	Tel.:     +55 / 48 / 235 1106
Florianopolis			  +55 / 48 / 9998 7686
Brazil			email:	  frankh terra com br