Battery monitor in Panel notification area?

I'm assuming the notification area is able to display battery information, because the icon for the notification area is a battery itself (at least that's what it looks like).. I really don't like the current battery applet b/c the icon takes up way too much space. My panel is only 1024 pixels wide, so I nee to conserve as much as possible :-) . Anyways, if there is a different program that uses the nofication area I'd be glad to know. Thanks!

-Ben