Gnome 2.2 build - works, sort of ...

Hi.
I just built gnome-2.2 on a LFS (Linux From Scratch) system.
I am using rpm as a package manager (entire system is bootstrapped in
rpm) but basically it's an LFS system.

I built/installed all the libraries at
http://beyond.linuxfromscratch.org/view/1.0/gnome/lib.html

I also built the "core packages" at
http://beyond.linuxfromscratch.org/view/1.0/gnome/core.html

additionally I built one application - gnome-terminal.

It's working and all - but it doesn't seem to be able to display any
text within the gnome system. What I mean is this:

There is an alert when I startx - but no text with the alert.

gnome-about displays the starry sky, no text scrolling across it.
The hyperlinks work, opening mozilla to the various pages - but there is
no text for the hyperlinks.

In the gnome menus (from the ultra-cool I love it mac-os like down to
the rounded edges gnome-panel) show the pixmaps for the menu items - but
putting the mouse cursor on the item brings up an expty text box (where
it is suppose to give a description).

When I select the icon to end the session - the dialog box has no text,
but clicking the button does properly end the session.

Obviously I'm missing something ... anyone know what?

I should note that my rpm's for these packages are not built as root,
but do have %defattr(-,root,root) so that the files are properly
installed with root privileges.

I also should note that I am in fact using gconftool-2 in the %post
script for any packages that have /etc/gconf/schemas/whatever.schemas
file(s)

I am not doing anything with scrollkeeper. Scrollkeeper is installed,
but I still have to look into how to properly manage that system in the
%post script (it looks like some of the current "official" gnome spec
files do what I'm currently doing - ignoring them). I really don't think
scrollkeeper is the issue, though ... (It would be nice if the next
version of scrollkeeper learned something from gnu info and made it EASY
to add/delete the scrollkeeper stuff ... if it is, I haven't found it
yet ;)

So, does anyone have a clue as to what might be broken on my system that
prevents the gnome internal text system from working?

TIA,

Michael A. Peters

--
Michael A. Peters <mpeters mac com>