Re: Gconf/panel interaction problems with mandatory preferences

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 12:58:48PM -0400, Sean Millichamp wrote:
> The GNOME 2.2 Desktop Sys Admin Guide said that for default settings to
> use /apps/panel/default_profiles/medium/ but I found that for mandatory
> settings I had to actually mirror what the panel appeared to be using
> after first initializing: /apps/panel/profiles/default/

This is a problem with the admin guide - if there's a component for it
in bugzilla, I'd suggest filing a bug here. Though it may be partially
obsoleted in 2.4 (mark is hopefully getting rid of the
default_profiles mess).

> There are a number of detailed errors it gives but they are all of the
> form:
> Can't overwrite existing read-only value:
>  Can't overwrite existing read-only value:
>  Value for `/apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/main_menu/object_type'
> set in a read-only source at the front of your configuration path
> Can't overwrite existing read-only value:
>  Can't overwrite existing read-only value:
>  Value for `/apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/main_menu/panel_id' set
> in a read-only source at the front of your configuration path
> Can't overwrite existing read-only value:
>  Can't overwrite existing read-only value:
>  Value for `/apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/main_menu/path' set in
> a read-only source at the front of your configuration path
> ... and so on.
>
> Is there either a better/more proper way of enforcing global panel
> properties or a way to silence the error messages?  This is sort of a
> critical show stopper for me.

This is pretty much a bug in the panel; it should not be trying to set
values when nobody has changed them. Suggest filing a bugzilla report
(and requesting that fixes by applied to the 2.2 branch).

Havoc