Re: Solved: gnome-session fails: permissions

Larry W. Virden writes:
 > > It turned out that my /etc/gconf database was completely
 > > corrupt.
 >
 > how does one know when this is corrupt and how does it get recreated?

It did work after recreating it, so it must have been corrupt before
;-)

I build my own RPMs and didn't know how that whole GConf stuff
works. It's not that the documentation is exhaustive after all. All
packages install the schemas as part of the 'make install' so I
packaged the XML files created from the schemas with the rest of the
files. I still don't know why, but that seemed to have broken
something. You can recreate the system database (w/o your local
changes of course) using these commands

GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=`gconftool-2 --get-default-source` \
   gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule <schema files>

Best regards,
     Marcus