Re: Red X where volume control applet should be

Hi David,

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 22:50, David Cunningham wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestions Malcolm.  I've managed to figure out a way to
> resolve this but my way is only a weird hack.  Developers might have some
> insight into what's going on here.
>
> I noticed inside the /usr/local/libexec/mixer_applet2 file there are paths
> to the icons hard coded in.  The paths look like this:
> NONE/share/pixmaps/mixer/gnome-mixer-applet.png
> Each icon referenced has a NONE prepended where /usr should be.  I assume
> this is because NONE gets dynamically replaced with /usr at execution time.
> Using sed to replace all occurrences of NONE with /usr fixes the problem.

Assume nothing. Your mixer_applet2 file is what we technically refer to
as "broken". :-(

Those paths should contain the full path to the icon directory (and it
should be /usr/local/share/pixmaps/mixer/..., not
/usr/share/pixmaps/mixer/..., based on the prefix in which you have
installed the mixer applet).

Since your prefix is /usr/local, I am guessing you built gnome-applets
yourself. When you did this, the configure script would have defined a
variable called GNOME_ICONDIR in config.h in the top-level gnome-applets
directory. In the normal scheme of things, GNOME_ICONDIR will be
${prefix}/share/pixmaps, where the "${prefix}" bit is substituted with
whatever you specified in the --prefix flag to the configure script (or
/usr/local/ by default).

Somehow your build ended up with a prefix of "NONE". I am sort of
surprised that anything worked at all.

The best fix for this problem is to rebuild gnome-applets. Run 'make
clean' first if you are building in the directory where you built it
last time to ensure that any broken binaries are thrown away before the
rebuild.

Cheers,
Malcolm