Re: Setting enviroment variables

Larry W. Virden wrote:
   /usr/./dt/bin/Xsession
/usr/./dt/config/Xsession.d
/usr/./dt/config/Xsession.d/0010.dtpaths
/usr/./dt/config/Xsession.d/0015.sun.env
/usr/./dt/config/Xsession.d/0020.dtims
/usr/./dt/config/Xsession.d/0030.dttmpdir
/usr/./dt/config/Xsession.d/0040.xmbind
/usr/./dt/config/Xsession.d/6052.starmenus
/usr/./dt/config/Xsession.ow
/usr/./dt/config/Xsession.ow2
/usr/./dt/config/Xsession.Sun-gnome-2.0-fcs-10
/usr/./dt/config/Xsession2.Sun-gnome-2.0-fcs-10
/usr/./dt/lib/libXsession.so
/usr/./lib/jmplay/sparc/libXsession.so
/usr/./openwin/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
/usr/./openwin/lib/xdm/Xsession

This clearly shows that Sun wants to try to maintain support for CDE and Gnome simultaneously. They use the CDE login process and fork off Gnome somewhere in the whole desktop mess.

The whole CDE thing really caused me a lot of headaches to figure out way back when I used it regularly. I hate to try to remember all this stuff, but mainly, CDE *does not* source your .profile unless you set the correct environment variable somehwere in some .dt file in your home directory.

You first have to make sure that you set the environment variable correctly. Nothing in the Gnome startup, from Gnome 2.0 onward prepends /usr/bin to PATH *ever*. Also remember that CDE allows you to interrupt the login process at any point whatsoever and interpose your own version. You merely have to replicate the hierarchy in an appropriately-named directory under home (.dt/ comes to mind) and replace the offending shell script with one of your own. The CDE manuals explain the process in great detail and all Sun manuals (including all CDE manuals) appear on the Sun website for public access.

I found my old .dtprofile.  Make sure you have this set:

#
#  If $HOME/.profile (.login) has been edited as described above,
#  uncomment the following line.
#
DTSOURCEPROFILE=true

This comes from copying the standard example of the dtprofile from some system directory somewhere. Also, you may want to examine the contents of your .dt/ directory to see if anything there interferes with Gnome.

/Joe