Re: Gnome+VNC: gnome "eats up" Ctrl key!

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 03:51, UVR wrote:
> To determine which of 'main-gnome' and 'vnc-gnome' was
> 'eating up' the Ctrl keypress event, I logged out of the
> machine and logged again in using 'fvwm' instead.  That
> is, main-gnome was replaced with fvwm.  The vnc-gnome
> session was left intact from earlier, along with the
> (still running) XEmacs.
>
> When fvwm initialized up, I ran vncviewer again, focussed
> on XEmacs again, and hit "Ctrl-x Ctrl-c" again...success!
> XEmacs exited as desired!
>
> Then the experiment was repeated with main-gnome again.
> In place of XEmacs, this time, 'gvim' and 'GNUEmacs' were
> run.  Again, the Ctrl- key event was not passed through
> to either of these applications.  This proves that
>
>     - it's not an Emacs problem (gvim suffered from it too).
>     - it is not the inner vnc-gnome session, but main-gnome
>       which is consuming the Ctrl keypress events.
>

> So now my question is, what is it that is causing the
> main-gnome session to consume the Ctrl- keypress event
> and how do I tell it to stop doing that?
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all helpful hints.

I'd say it's the windowmanager (not gnome as itself) that is eating up
the ctrl-key. As you use a different wm (fvwm), it doesn't eat the
keypress. So, as you are using Gnome 2, I'd say your wm is Metacity. So
change your window manager or check metacity's keybindings through gconf
editor.
Places to look are:

/apps/metacity/global_keybindings
/apps/metacity/window_keybindings
/apps/metacity/general/mouse_button_modifier

The last one is unlikely, as I seem to have <Super> on it, and if it
would be <Control> in your case, I'd say it would bring up other
"problems". But it doesn't hurt to cheack that too. If these doesn't
help, I have no idea. In that case let's hope someone else helps with
better solutions.

 Petri