Re: background

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 04:37:27PM +0100 or thereabouts, Eckhard Doll wrote:
> hello list,
>
> as useful as I find this gnome desktop environment, since I use it I
> miss the possibility to let the background image be controlled by
> another application (e.g. xearth or webcollage). I'm sure, I got once
> (some release inbetween or maybe my gentoo excursion) a checkbox in
> preferences to decide if it's controlled by gnome or not. But later I
> never found it again. Would strongly appreciate any hint about.

How to do this will depend on what version of Gnome you are running.

Gnome 1.4: I think it was an option available through Nautilus ->
Preferences -> something.
Gnome 2.0: not sure.
Gnome 2.2: gconf-editor -> desktop -> gnome -> background -> find
the key called "draw_background" and unset it.
Gnome 2.4: as Gnome 2.2

Gconf-editor comes with a warning about "this may mess your settings".
It never has messed mine up, but I suppose it might one day.

Telsa