Gnucash on debian system???

I am running on a recently installed system  with Debian 3.0
testing/unstable and Gnome 2.2. I want very much to be able to run
Gnucash. I run apt-get update and install gnucash. When I run apt-get
upgrade, it tells me it is installing the latest version, etc., yet when
I invoke gnucash at a prompt nothing happens. If I invoke it at a
console, I get errors, such as "Unbound Variable" .... The error
messages vary fromtime to time, but often involve Guile, telling me I am
running with the wrong version.

Anyone? I wouldn't even mind running an older version of gnucash. I am
just confused why on my system the dependencies can't be resolved. I
thought I had left this dll-ole-driver sort of hell behind when I jumped
out the Windows window..but I guess such problems plague even linux.

Scott