Re: Launch bash script using desktop icon?

From: Esther Parrilla Endrino <esther parrilla deimos-space com>

> When I double click the icon in my desktop it does nothing!
> I have tried too to create the icon not manually but using the desktop
> options to create a new launcher and it does not work either...
>
> Is not possible to launch scripts from de Gnome desktop icons? Just
> binary executable files such as /usr/bin/mozilla?

Okay, I just tried this.

1. Create a simple script:
$ cat ~/bin/launchtest

#! /bin/ksh

printenv > /tmp/launchtest.out

$ chmod 755 ~/bin/launchtest
$ ls -l /tmp/launchtest.out
/tmp/launchtest.out: No such file or directory

2. Then I used the root menu New Laucher selection and
gave the name of Desktop Test, with the command /home/mylogin/bin/launchtest .
3. I double click the launcher icon.
4. Things sit and run for a while, then complete.
5.  $ ls -l /tmp/launchtest.out
-rw-r--r--   1 lwv26    dept26      9874 Feb 24 12:16 /tmp/launchtest.out

So, it appears that, at least with SPARC Solaris GNOME 2.0 distribution,
the answer is "yes, it is possible to launch scripts from Gnome desktop
icons".
--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden cas org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>