sound problems with gnome 2.6 on suse 9.2

i have a fresh installation of suse 9.2 pro on  my pc with a Asus A7N8x
deluxe motherboard. soundcard is on board. and i problems with sound.

after the installation sound worked ok with the module snd-intel8x0.
after a reboot i had no sound. after a new configuration of the
soundcard with yast, it worked again. after a fresh reboot, same problem
again.
then i tried the linux driver from nvidia which should suite for my
motherboard and soundcard: i installed
NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0292-pkg1.run. its working: xmms plays music. but
after a reboot, i have no sound events in my gnome desktop.
the nvidia sound driver nvsound is a oss driver. so i had to change the
settings for xmms. do i have something similiar for the sound events for
gnome?

thanks in advance for any hint!

philipp
--