Re: Setting environment variables

Geoffrey wrote:

> Andrei Badea wrote:
>
>> Hello Geoffrey,
>>
>> Geoffrey wrote:

>>> .xsession is used when you start X with 'startx' and .Xclients is used when you start X with [xgk]dm. I simply create a sym link between the two, which might be the case for other folks.
>>

>> Thank you for your answer. I tried to create a .Xclients file, but it isn't executed neither when gdm starts, nor when I log into my Gnome session. When is this file supposed to be run? I looked at gdm's scripts and it seems the .Xclients file is executed when you start a Xsession session. But that's not what I want to do. I want to start a Gnome session, but have a script in my home directory run. Is there any elegant way to do this?
>

> I fubarred this one.  The files you need are .Xclients and .xinitrc
>
> Make sure you have one and then create a sym link to the other. Make sure the one that's the real file is executable.

> Let me know if that does not work.

It doesn't :-(

tam0 farpoint:~$ ls -l .xinitrc .Xclients
-rwxr-xr-x  1 tam0 users 28 2004-09-22 19:03 .Xclients
lrwxr-xr-x  1 tam0 users  9 2004-09-22 19:54 .xinitrc -> .Xclients

tam0 farpoint:~$ cat .xinitrc
#!/bin/bash
touch gdm_test

But the file gdm_test is not created at login.

Any ideas?

> Sorry for the screwed up info I provided before. (not enough sleep, not enough coffee)

That's ok, I know the feeling :-)

Best regards,
Andrei

--