Re: Freezing on functions that run as root

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 17:23 -0500, David A. Cobb wrote:
> Hi,  I'm new at this from Windows ["Free, at last; Free, at last!  Thank
> ..."]
>
> Running Gnome on Debian 'sarge', kernel 2.4.26 (backport).
> Fairly often, if I log in as a normal user and then try RootTerminal or
> Synaptic, that require a root password, the dialog box for the password
> gets about half painted -- just the background white and gray -- then
> everything freezes solid.  The system does not respond to mouse or
> keyboard and all I can do is hit the Reset button.  On the reboot, there
> are a bunch of bad iNodes in my /tmp filesystem.
>
> I've had similar things happen on just user-login, but not nearly as
> frequent.  There the solution was to boot Single and rename the user's
> ".gnome*" files so they would be created fresh.  The same sort of thing
> helps in this case -- I wipe out any ".gnome*" files in /root and try
> again.  Usually it helps.  And sometimes the problem just seems to go
> away.
>
> Possibly a configuration glitch, but I don't have any idea where to look.

I can't help you with the cause of the problem. However when this
happens again it may be worth trying ctrl-alt-backspace. This should
command the X server to shutdown, bouncing you back to the gdm/kdm login
screen. This at least avoids having to reboot the machine..

Regards,

Simon