Re: debian gnome

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 12:18 +0900, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-22-02 at 21:20 -0500, Greg Foster wrote:
> > I am running debian sarge with gnome 2.8 and gnome keeps freezing up
> > randomly. About the only thing that works is the mouse.
> > Can someone help please
> > Greg
>
> I'm afraid not, without more information. Does another desktop
> (KDE/XFCE) freeze too? Have you tried "apt-ungetting" gnome in case the
> software got corrupted that way? Are you building your own from source?
>
> Basically I've got nothing to work with here.
>
> ps. In my experience random freezes usually mean bad hardware...
>
> Cheers,
> Ryan

Hi I'm new to this list but a big gnome fan willing to aid anyway I can.
I did have similar problems initially while running fedora core 3 on a
new system. If I noticed the system had frozen soon after it froze I was
able to ctrl+F1 to the prompt and kill the X session. If I lapsed all
was lost. It was then I decided to use the nvidia drivers for the card
which is a 5200. I was then immediately able to have my system running
weeks at a time and have since seen no lockups. Note FC3 also used 2.8.
As this was a new system FC2 with gnome 2.6 was never tested.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Corey Rogers
Chief Technical Officer
Wamco Technology Group Ltd (Barbados)
Building #4, Suite 103
Harbour Industrial Park, St. Michael
Phone: (246)437-3154  FAX: (246)434-8883

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas,
never returns to its original size"
                            OLIVER WENDELL HOLMES
                            PHYSICIAN (1809-94)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message including attachments, if
any, is (are) for the intended recipient only (person or entity) and may
contain confidential or proprietary information some or all of which may
be legally privileged. Any unauthorized review, use, copy, print,
copies of the original message and do not in any way rely on this
e-mail. If you are the intended recipient but do not wish to receive
communications through this medium, please so advise the sender
immediately.