Re: Yelp fails to display DocBook files

Red Blue wrote:
From: "Michael M." <nixlists writemoore net>
To: gnome-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Yelp fails to display DocBook files
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 22:36:53 -0700

I'm getting something similar with Gnome 2.14 in Debian Sid.

Is that amd64 or another arch?

Just regular ol' i386 ... though, actually, the kernel is 486. I have an AMD64 machine, but I haven't installed the port yet. I'll let others do the heavy lifting, since in these matters I am a lightweight. :-)

I'm trying to figure out what the commonality is, because quite obviously this is not a common problem (I've scoured the net a lot before turning to this list and basically there have been only a few similar cases with Mac OS X ports and one mention in gnome-vfs-list from 2004, about some path variable, which apparently is not in use anymore).

Funny, I ran Debian Sarge and Etch (and Ubuntu Breezy) PPC ports on my iMac and never encountered this problem. But I guess I wasn't doing it as long ago as 2004.

At first, it displayed only the main menu and any attempt to click on an item produced an error message. Now most or all of the menu structure seems to be intact, but clicking on an item brings up a raw XML page in my browser.

I got to that point too by just opening one of the XML files with Mozilla. The unrendered XML page has the header warning "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." Now every time I open some DocBook by clicking it from Yelp, it comes out like that from Mozilla. If I feed the path to Yelp through console ("yelp /foo/bar"), then I get the "There is no default action" error.

I just tried that and I get "An unknown error has occurred. The specified location is invalid." That's the error I was getting before, directly from the Yelp application, before it started opening the XML file in Mozilla.

My understanding is that Yelp should do an XML->HTML conversion using the XSLT style sheets from gnome-doc-utils, but this step is not happening for either of us, and there apparently are no detailed error messages or logs available from Yelp to help in pinpointing where the failure occurs.

Your understanding is a lot more advance than mine. I tried using w3m on a sample XML file and I got the same document tree I get in Mozilla. I tried "$ cat foo.xml | w3m -T text/html" and I get the text of the document all run together without any formatting at all, though at least it's not the document tree.

I have been presuming it will right itself one day, but perhaps I'm wrong if not many others are having this problem. I also have an issue with manpages-dev not installing every time I run aptitude update. dpkg throws out an error message, and the next time I go to update, aptitude tries again to install it, so far unsuccessfully. It's probably just a coincidence, but it does seem ironic that the only two problems I've had since moving from Etch to Sid are with sub-systems that are *supposed* to help users.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson