Dual screen usage best practices?

Hi all,

[ please CC me on the replies ]

I know this is more "X in general" type of question, but since I use gnome why not trying to ask here.

I'm using laptop almost exclusively, and at home I'm also attaching second CRT to have dual screen setup. It works quite ok, and survives suspend/resume and uses both screens so that I have a huge desktop.

As I'm almost exclusively using suspend/resume and never reboot my laptop unless really needed, my questions would be:

1) Is it possible to dynamically disable screen that is not connected (as when my CRT is unplugged from the laptop), and if not, is it possible to tell metacity that this screen is not physically there so that it can not place windows there until I tell him otherwise?

2) Is it possible to make certain windows appear always on certain screens, and if so give them also some special attributes? I know devilspie can do some window manipulation, but is someone using it with dual screen setup?

could you share your portable laptop + dual screen setup best practices?

thanx,
Martin

P.S. if possible I'd like to do most of the things without restarting X

--
http://martinman.net