installing gnome from scratch..

hi,

i am trying to build gnome into rpm files for the new version of Yoper
operating system but have hit a few problems and wondered if anyone has the
answers.

After building most of the packages I installed the rpms. Gnome appeared on
the login screen as an option which I was pleased about. I ran my x windows
with the gnome option as a normal user and was greeted with an error message
indicating "Your configuration files are currently in use. Please continue
without them or try again" (or words to that effect). I continued without
them but my x windows restarted. This happens everytime I log in as a normal
user.

I then attempted to login as a superuser, and everything appeared to be
succesful. However, whenever I selected the menu bars at the top of the
screen nothing happened. Its as if the menu bar with the gnome footprint etc
on is simply a picture with no clickable area what-so-ever. Has anyone came
accross this before.

I am assuming the menu is orgranised in gnome-menus, and I did have a slight
conflict with kdelibs when trying the install the gnome menus package. The
conflicting file was /etc/xdm/applications.menu but I replaced the file with
the gnome one and hoped this would work.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatfully received.

Justin Whelan