Menubar and toolbar disappeared

Hi,

I am using Debian sid, and have recently run a system update, the first time i rebooted the system after the update i realised that the menubar (the one that lies on the topmost of the screen, by default) and the toolbar (the one with running windows and workspace selector) disappeared, and I have no idea how to get them back.
This has caused me a big loss of functionality and i am quite annoyed by that. I'd appreciate if anyone can guide me on how i can fix this issue.

On a forum someone suggested to check permissions to .gnome2/panel2d and all it's subfolders, i did that but no change so far.

Thanks in advance,