gconfd/gnome-panel problem

Hi gnomers.

I have a problem with gnome-panel, it hangs on startup 'cause some
applet misbehaviour, so I've tried naively to delete every file in
~/.gconf, ~/.gnome and ~/.gnome2 that seemed to be related with
gnome-panel.  But even after deleting all these files, I still get my
gnome-panel hanging, while all gnome-panel entries
(/apps/panel/applets) still appear in gconf-editor. The same happened
after removing the ~/.gconfd/saved_state before to launch the X
session.

Does anyone know how to restore gnome-panel to a fresh-installed state?
The following method:

* killall gnome-panel
* rm $HOME/.gnome/panel
* gnome-panel &

simply doesn't work. gnome-panel configuration are stored persistently
in the gconfd archive, so I think maybe I should tweak with gconf-tool
but I don't know where should I start from.

The drastic solution would be to delete recursively the whole
~/.gnome2 and ~/.gconf dirs, but I don't want to lose all other
applications configuration, and even in this case I'm not sure it
would work.

I'm using a Debian unstable with gnome 2.14.

Thanks in advance for any help.
--
Stefano Sabatini
Linux user number 337176 (see http://li.count.org)