Re: Warning when opening .mp4 video files

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 12:41 +0000, Jasper Thrussell wrote:
> Whenever I double click on a .mp4 video file in nautilus the following
> warning message is displayed:
>
> "The filename "test.mp4" indicates that this file is of type "mp4
> document". The contents of the file indicate that the file is of type
> "MPEG-4 video". If you open this file, the file might present a
> security risk to your system.
>
> Do not open the file unless you created the file yourself, or received
> the file from a trusted source. To open the file, rename the file to
> the correct extension for "MPEG-4 video", then open the file normally.
> Alternatively, use the Open With menu to choose a specific application
> for the file. "
>
> Now as far as I know, .mp4 is the correct extension for MPEG4 video
> files (I've never heard of a .mp4 document file), so how can I get
> nautilus to open the file rather than displaying the warning message?
>
> Using the "open with" command works fine, but it's annoying to have to
> do that every time.

AFAIK, Nautilus uses shared-mime-info to check what kind of file you try
to open and if the the mime type and extension match.

Maybe your file is non-standard or damaged and confuses
shared-mime-info?

You can check if a newer version of shared-mime-info fixes this, or file
a bug in the freedesktop.org bugzilla.

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fshared_2dmime_2dinfo

HTH,

--