Re: Gnome-2.16.0 Build Order

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 11:28 -0400, Jon wrote:
> Mariano Suárez-Alvarez wrote:
> > The preferred way to build gnome is to use either GARNOME
> > <http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/> or jhbuild
> > <http://www.jamesh.id.au/software/jhbuild/>.
> >
> Thanks for the reply. I realize that's the "preferred" way to build it
> but not for me. That's what I was talking about with being "displeased"
> in the various ways of building gnome. Nothing touches my system unless
> it's handled by my package manager. I already have build scripts for
> most everything anyway. I just need the build order.

When you wrote that «[you are] displeased with the various
offerings/methods available (for Slackware), so [you have] been building
it from source since 2.8», I thought you were referring to the binary
offerings. That is why I mentioned jhbuild and GARNOME which are, as you
know, ‘simply’ build scripts that build from source (pulled out from CVS
or tarballs).

To get a build order, install jhbuild, set it up, and say

  jhbuild list

If you are going to write a(nother) build script, then it might be
useful to know that jhbuild is shipped with an XML file which contains
the inter-module dependencies, from which the build order is computed by
doing a topological sort.
Since that file is in a way the canonical list of dependencies (module
maintainers keep it up to date and so on), you may want to use it as
input to your build script (instead of hard-coding the build order), so
that when dependencies change, your script still works. Of course, if
you do that, you will have then rewritten jhbuild.

HTH,

-- m