Switching between languages using Left Alt + Left Shift only - is it possible ?

Hello,

I am using two languages on my Linux, FC8, which runs GNOME desktop.
One of them is English.
I want to use **ONLY** the left alt+shift key combination as a shortcut for
changing languages.
In gnome panel->Keyboard Preferences, in Layout options/Layout switching,
I choose Alt+Shift to change layout and to toggle between both languages.
The problem with this is that it changes languages also when Left Alt and Right
Shift are pressed !
So , when I try to use the combination "Left Alt + Right Shift + ?" , which
is the default shortcut in Midnight Commander (MC) for "find file", a
shortcut which I use
really very very often, I finish with changing the language instead of
reaching MC find file dialog.
Is there anything I can do ?

Regards,
Ian