GNOME keyboard switching question (three selected layouts, but just two switch groups?)

Hello!

I have a question about GNOME keyboard switching functionality.
Please, help me, guys! I just don't know where to look for information
about my problem...

Usually I have two keyboard layout groups in GNOME: English and Russian.
I actively use both these switching methods:

   "R-Alt switches group while pressed"
   "Both Alt keys together change group"

That works fine!

Problem starts, for instance, when I need to write some documents
in Ukrainian. This is when the third layout appears...
And I start having problems with cyclic switching between
those three layouts. It's a lot of inconvenience for me
(I could explain why but I hope no need for this?  :)
So, I just temporarily remove Russian layout when I need Ukrainian.

The workaround works but it's not convenient enough too, because
me from my real tasks.

Is there any way to make my life simpler?  :)
Help me, please.

What I want is to have the three layouts loaded all of the time.
But in such way that usual keyboard switching capabilities
worked just between two of the layouts: between "English"
and "most recently used of: Ukrainian and Russian".
It also should be a way to assign a shortcut for explicitly
chosing Ukrainian layout (one shortcut), or Russian (another
shortcut).

Is it a way to do what I want?

Thank you in advance!

(Sorry, guys, English is not my native language. But I did
my best to make things clear. Please ask questions
if I have not succeed :)

A few words about my environment:

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz)
$
$ rpm -qa | egrep '^gnome-(desktop|applets)-' | sort
gnome-applets-2.10.1-9
gnome-desktop-2.10.0-5
gnome-desktop-devel-2.10.0-5
$