Re: Totem

Not sure about Totem, I use Mplayer for audio and video. I had to configure an additional repository, Livna, to get plugins for the IP-encumbered formats -- once I did that everything was easy.

Jim Hartley

Graeme Nichols wrote:
Hello Todd,

Thank you very much for the information and the link.

I should be OK now.

Regards,

Graeme.

On 19/06/07, *Todd Zullinger * <tmz pobox com <mailto:tmz pobox com>> wrote:

    Graeme Nichols wrote:
    > I am running FC6 and for the first time since I was running RH6 I
    > want to play videos and audio files.

    How do you survive without audio? :)

    > My experience with sound and linux has been very negative so I have
    > never bothered and consequently I have no knowledge of the subject.

    It's not so bad.  Patents and other proprietary things make it more
    difficult than it should be though.

    > In FC6 Totem seems to be a front end for gstreamer and all the
    necessary
    > gstreamer bits and pieces have been installed.
    >
    > Can someone please tell me which video and audio formats that
    Totem can
    > play?

    That depends entirely on what gstreamer plugins you have installed.
    By default, Fedora doesn't come with any plugins that have patent or
    license issues (e.g. mp3, wmv, etc)

    > Which video and audio formats it cannot play and if there are
    > plugins available that will enable Totem to play them?
    >
    > Two that I have discovered it cannot play are mp3 and wmv saying
    > that possibly a plugin is needed.
    >
    > I cannot find any information on plugins, how to obtain them, how to
    > install them etc. anywhere.

    Google turns up numerous links when searching for fedora totem mp3.
    Here's one that seems reasonable:

    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?s=b2db943185e286a3a3e7be489bd651cb&t=100206&highlight=totem+mp3
    <http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?s=b2db943185e286a3a3e7be489bd651cb&t=100206&highlight=totem+mp3>

    HTH,

    --
    Todd        OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL:
    www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp <http://www.pobox.com/%7Etmz/pgp>

Kind Regards,

Graeme.