terminal disappears

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:51:22 -0500
From: "Lowell Thomas" <lowell coasttocoastresearch com>
Subject: terminal disappears
To: <gnome-list gnome org>

Hi,

I'm an experienced C/C++ developer with a little UNIX experience years ago,
but a complete newbie to Linux and GNOME. I just installed Debian 4.0r1 with
gnome 2.14.3 and I'm having trouble with the terminal. Problem one, is that
it does not seem to run the .bash_profile script at start up. Problem two,
is that I shot myself in the foot experimenting with fixing it. I modified
some parameters in the terminal profile (I don't remember which, but I
modified some check boxes) and now it just flashes on and immediately exits
before I can undo my changes. I can get a root terminal, but not my user
terminal. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lowell Thomas

I think that problem 1 is a shell problem.  When gnome-terminal begins, it starts an interactive shell.  An interactive shell reads ~/.bashrc as its profile.  Adding a line in ~/.bashrc:
source ~/.bash_profile

should execute the commands in .bash_profile.  See the man page for bash and seek
INVOCATION for an explanation.

For problem 2, see if you can find a configuration file for gnome-terminal in the ~/.gnome directory tree.  If there is one, either fix it or rename it something else.  It should be recreated when you start gnome-terminal.  If it doesn't fix the problem, you can rename it back to its original name.

good luck