Gedit issues

Hello all! We use SLES10 SP1 with gnome 2.12, i think. Gnome has not been updated, it is the default install provided by SLES10. The problem is, when using gedit 2.12.1-28.22 with php files, js and tables are not showing. I can open the same file on a different box and all the js and table tags are there. I had this problem before and i renamed /etc/opt/gnome/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/gedit-2/preferences/encodings/%gconf.xml and it worked. Then SLES10 had an "update" for readline and since then, this problem has come back. I back-dated to the earlier readline but samething. I have also re-installed gedit and renamed the folder /etc/opt/gnome/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/gedit-2 and updated gconf which recreated the /etc/opt/gnome/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/gedit-2 folder. Still, same problem. I got this in the logs when installing gedit:
failed to parse default value "i-[UTF-8,YANGOKU,ISO-8859-15,UTF-16]' for schema (/schemas/apps/gedit-2/preferences/encodings/auto_detected)

I can also use joe editor on that same box and the file appears as it ought. Bluefish also does the samething as gedit (some of the code is missing). Has anyone seen this before and if so, how do i fix it?