Re: "Invalid mount option"

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Bill Moseley <moseley hank org> wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a gnome issue or not, so pointers welcome.

Sounds like a HAL/fstab issue to me. Either way, it's almost always better to reach out to your distro's resources (especially with a community as strong as Ubuntu's) for help; this list doesn't seem to get much in way of replies.

I'm not much help with an issue like this, but this sounds like something worth investigating on the Ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org. Of course, there are other means of support in Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/support/CommunitySupport.

I'm running Ubuntu Hardy.  I used to be able to plug in my usb flash
and have it automatically mount.  How it did that I was never sure.
But it worked.

It definitely should work like that!

Today, when I plug it in I get a pop-up window:

   Cannot mount volume.
   Invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume

Here are a few forum threads I found on a cursory look that may be helpful: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500820 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=650697 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-mount/+bug/107668. It does seem like some problems in /etc/fstab.

If none of those resolves the issue, I'd suggest starting a new thread on the forum; make sure to attach/paste your /etc/fstab. Please contact me about it (I'm now invested in the problem :) and I'll see if I can help!

--
Andrew Conkling
http://andrewski.net