Re: Lost metacity and gnome panel

Dne, 24. 11. 2009 05:26:10 je John Jason Jordan napisal(a):

> I created a new user. Logging in as the new user I have the window
> manager and gnome panel. Conclusion: The problem is somewhere in my
> config files.

Not necessarily. Just a while ago I hade a weird keymap problem on a
Lenny box which looked as if it was due to user configurations:
newly created users behaved differently than some older user
accounts, which, in turn, behaved differently than the default account
created during Lenny installation. In the end, however, the culprit
turned out to be a missing line in xorg.conf!

Anyway, here's how I would proceed (but your situation may be different
of course):

I'd create myself a new account, keeping the old non-working account as
backup only. Then, instead of copying over the config files, I'd just
manually reconfigure my new account to my liking. I know, it can be
tedious, but ... Then, at my leisure, I'd copy over a config file from
the old account to the new one and test it thoroughly (wait for a week
or so, log in and out, preferably even reboot a couple of times). After
thorough testing, I'd copy over another config file. And so on.
Hopefully, you only have a couple of config files complex enough to be
worth copying over; as for the rest, you may be better off recreating
them from scratch.

P.S. Your ~/.config subtree is also worth checking out (besides .gconf,
.gconfd,.gnome, .gnome2 and so on)

--
Regards,

Klistvud