RE: Remote login

I'm using Debian Lenny

-----Original Message-----
From: gnome-list-bounces gnome org
[mailto:gnome-list-bounces gnome org]On Behalf Of David Harel
Sent: 14 February 2010 13:36
To: Guy Rouillier
Cc: gnome-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Remote login

Guy Rouillier wrote:
> Sorry, I did not see the original email.  I'm top-posting because most
> of what I have to say relates to the OP.  I've used vnc successfully
> numerous times, but not in quite awhile; in a work environment simple
> ssh terminals are used most often, and at home I've switched to
> running VMs.
>
> First off, from the original post, I'm not sure that the server has
> been properly set up to run X (and hence Gnome.)  "could not find XKB
> extension": XKB is the keyboard and is required in any practical
> configuration.
I use either Ubuntu or Gentoo and I never had this problem, I take it
you use Redhat?

> Have you ever connected to a graphical UI directly on this box to
> verify that it is set up to run a GUI?
Typically I would set some kind of X11 implementation on the local
desktop machine and using ssh -X (or the equivalent) I would connect to
the remote host.
Not all the desktop of the remote machine will be available on the
desktop of the local machine. Typically I would launch specific
applications on the remote that will show the display on the local and
in that case I typically like the local desktop to rule.

> Next, I've usually set /etc/vncserver (as root) to automatically start
> up the required user sessions.  You appear to be running vncserver as
> a regular user.  I suppose that works but I have no experience running
> it that way.
I was not successful with vncserver as plane user. Always as root.

> Finally, if the server is properly configured and you want to run a
> GUI, vnc is the right way to go in my opinion.  Remote X (cygwin)
> sends individual windowing commands over the wire and will hence be
> considerably slower than vnc.
I believe that X11 protocol is more efficient than image transfer as VNC
does.

> The proper way to initialize vnc is to log in via an ssh terminal to
> start your GUI session.  Then you log out and back in via vnc, which
> should attach directly to your GUI session.
Never tried that. Sounds interesting. Will try it next time I have to
use this kind of setting.

> On 2/13/2010 2:44 PM, David Harel wrote:
>>

>> Duncan Garland wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> No replies in two weeks. Was it a stupid question? Is this the wrong
>>> list?
>> Not a stupid question at all.
>>> Am I completely on the wrong track trying to use a vnc viewer to
>>> remotely
>>> view a gnome session?
>> I would not use VNC here even though it is possible. Typically I would
>> use text only interface using ssh (putty.exe will do).
>> In addition you can install cygwin: http://x.cygwin.com/ and run X11
>> apps but I never tried it using ssh session.
>>> I'll dig some more, but I think I must be googling the wrong keywords
>>> because I didn't get anywhere last time.
>>>
>>> All the best.
>>>
>>> Duncan

>>> box. If I run vnc4server -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 24 on the Debian,

Regards.

David Harel,

Home office +972 77 7657645
Cellular:   +972 54 4534502